The Design Engineer is ultimately responsible for the research, development and design of product according to project requirements. The Design Engineer develops submittals, layouts, schematics and shop details as part of a design team in accordance with project specifications, building codes and site conditions. Design Engineers develop 2D and 3D project submittals and production releases for fabrication of product.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Project Planning
- Project assignments are of intermediate complexity, require customization of components and design and are of low risk, and require some interaction with customers
- Provide conceptual design drawings and value engineering solutions to projects in the developmental design phase to assist the sales team in providing accurate and competitive pricing.
- Thoroughly review project specifications and scope, placing emphasis on design requirements.
- Conduct and review various calculations such as strength, weights, forces and stresses for material and component selection under supervision.
- Coordinator with project team to prepare submittal drawings for customer approval based on project specifications, scope, and engineering requirements; determine potential value engineering opportunities for project.
- Project Execution
- Work in conjunction with project strategy and schedule set forth by Project Manager
- Prepare measuring templates, acquire field dimensions and construct as-built 3D models and layouts to ensure design feasibility and accuracy.
- Prepare accurate assembly and part drawings to assure proper fabrication and installation of product using Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD.
- Assist Project Manager in completion of all specified closeout documents required by the customer including final ‘as-built’ drawings.
- Perform project review with thorough synopsis of project and opportunities for improved performance on future projects
- Provide material take-offs and estimates and assist in project forecasting
- Assist Project Manager with change orders, project schedules and project evaluation
- Integrate educational and professional experience to optimize project efficiencies.
- Assist as required in the research and development of new and improved product offerings.
- Ability to read and interpret architectural and fabrication drawings
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 1-5 years of related experience
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Excel, AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor
- Possess complex geometry skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Problem solving skills with a collaborative approach and timely resolution
- General understanding of building codes and materials
- Thorough understanding of project documents
- Basic knowledge of manufacturing processes, production capabilities, and work cell functions
- Experience in manufacturing or construction industries
- Experience with Inventor iLogic Skills