Under minimal supervision, performs inspection of grain and food oil transport systems and loading/ unloading processes, and sampling of grains, food oils, and other commodities per established government regulations and standard operating procedures.
Directly reports to the Operations Manager or Lab Manager
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Performs Inspection/sampling of containers, barges, and rail cars at different locations.
• Supervises loading and counts of agricultural products in accordance with applicable standards and procedures.
• Physically measures, weighs, samples and Inspects a variety of agricultural products in accordance with applicable standards and procedures.
• Calculates the transferred quantities (where applicable) and perform a full reconciliation of same.
• Performs final analysis of the different grains for grade assignment.
• Transports commodity samples from the loading terminals to the office and vice versa.
• May perform basic laboratory testing of samples.
• Takes detailed notes and photographs to document the inspection process, and reports all required field activities as per National/Regional field forms.
• Maintains regular communication with administrative staff with reference to job status, progress, problems, etc.
• Stays informed of and adheres to latest industry and client procedures.
• At all times, adopts safe behavior by exercising due regard for the health and safety of SGS employees and clients, in line with SGS policies and procedures.
• At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct.
• Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Supervises others: Yes
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• High School/GED degree
• Minimum 5 years of experience in grain, oil inspection and grain grading operations.
• Associate degree in an agriculture related field.
• 5 - 10 years of experience in grain or oil inspection and/or grain grading operation.
• Completion of required training programs (Basic, Level I and Level II) to achieve and maintain proficiency at the Senior Field Inspector level.
LICENSES / CERTIFICATIONS
Must have TWIC Licenses
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
• Language Skills: English
• Mathematical Skills: Intermediate level required
• Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate level required
• Computer Skills: Microsoft Office
• Frequent travel to client sites, ports, and facilities within the assigned region required, up to 50-75% of time. Some travel might be overnight.
• This job operates in a variety of outdoor environments, including granaries, agricultural fields, professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers and phones.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Physical/Sensory Demands Frequency Requirements:
• Stand - Constantly
• Move or traverse - Constantly
• Sit - Occasionally
• Use hands - Frequently
• Reach with hands and arms - Frequently
• Climb or balance - Frequently
• Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl - Frequently
• Talk/hear - Constantly
• Taste/Smell - Frequently
• Lift/carry/push or pull - Occasionally
• Lift/carry/push or pull 50 pounds
• Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches/50 centimeters or less)
• Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet/6 meters or more)
• Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point)
• Depth perception (three-dimension vision, ability to judge distance and three-dimensional relationships)
• Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus)
• Ability to see color
• No special auditory requirements
• Safety Critical: Has a high exposure to a catastrophic operational incident; has a direct role in operations where failure could result in serious harm to public or employee well-being, Group assets, or the environment; and has no direct or very limited supervision available to provide operational checks.
WORK CONDITIONS / EXPOSURE TO ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Location of the Job: Duluth, MN, United States
Environmental Conditions Requirements:
• Wet or humid (non-weather) conditions - Constantly
• Work near moving mechanical pats - Frequently
• Work in high, precarious places - Occasionally
• Fumes or airborne particles - Constantly
• Toxic or caustic chemicals - None
• Outdoor weather conditions - Constantly
• Extreme cold (non-weather) - Frequently
• Extreme heat (non-weather) - Frequently
• Risk of electrical shock - None
• Work with explosives - None
• Risk of radiation - None
• Vibration - Occasionally
• Bio-hazard - Occasionally
• Loud (examples: metal can manufacture department, large earth-moving equipment)
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
o perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call201-508-3149
for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.